At last, i was able to use my umobile sim.
When i first inserted the SIM to my Nokia N82, nothing happened. I can’t even make a call to the umobile customer service hotline *999. So i called their hotline using my globe sim. hahahaha.
I was able to talk to a PMA – Personal Mobile Assistant. He said, for first time users like me, you’ll have to wait for the sim to be activated first. How do you activate your umobile SIM?
Well, it turns out that activation means having the proper settings for your phone. MMS, Streaming, Internet, and WAP. And there are three ways to do this:
- Some users reported that the umobile settings was automatically sent to their phones once they inserted the SIM. good for them. =p
- You can log-on to the umobile website and under “my account” you’ll see “configure your mobile phone“.
- You can call the umobile hotline – *999 and ask the PMA to send you the settings.
Once you’ve saved these settings, you are then ready to use your umobile sim. I was able to make calls and text messages.
I wonder why the special load was only valid until July 21.. Maybe something will happen before that day.. like the first batch of ads will be coming in.
I was also able to browse the internet using umobile 3G which was fast. maybe due to the limited users of the network.
Here are two problems i experienced using umobile:
- There’s a delay in receiving text messages.
- I can’t use my N82+umobile as modem. I informed umobile about this and they said they will call me back as soon as they have the answer. The error was something to do with the PPP link. I can’t set it up using the nokia PC suite coz there’s no choice in the set-up wizard for Umobile as the network carrier. You’d manually do the set-up.But still you will get the PPP link error.
Something funny happened… I was trying to call my mom (smart user) in manila using my globe sim last night but i can’t get through. So i used Umobile. I also called my GF who was using a globe sim. No problems with voice calls.
Oh, umobile signal here in Davao City is great including their 3G signal.