I’ve been asked to build a PC with a budget of Php 50,000. This unit will be used for everyday office work, for watching videos, and also for playing games. Check out what I have prepared below.
First let me introduce to you the customer. He is a mid-level gamer that does not need all the details in Ultra specifications but just want to play and enjoy games like Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Skyrim, The Witcher, Call of Duty 4. He also owns a business and so needs to have a comfortable office work space and not stress his eyes in doing excel, powerpoint and word works, and browsing the internet. He needs a machine that can last for a long time without the need for a lot of maintenance and upgrading. He is also a guy who wants to enjoy the weekends watching his favorite movies and series at home. Lastly, he wants a cool looking PC where he would be spending most of his time.
I went around some stores and shops and gathered my the items and prices. Note that the major parts are Asus. So now, here’s what I recommend:
So here’s a new PC that’s built for a movie Junkie, gamer (mid to high gamer), business minded person, and someone who doesn’t want to know the parts all of the time.
Here’s why I choose those parts:
This motherboard features the SMART DIGI+ Technology, which works with the TPU (TurboV Processing Unit) for maximum performance. The CPU frequency can be increased to 85% by enable the all-new SMART DIGI+ key with a single click and adjust CPU ratios manually in the TPU. Aside from that, here are other notable features:
- Dual Intelligent Processors 3 with SMART DIGI+ Power Control
- Wi-Fi GO! – DLNA Streaming and Remote Desktop Made Easy
- Fan Xpert 2 – The Most Customizable Fan Controls
- USB 3.0 Boost – Faster USB 3.0 Transmission with UASP
- Quad-GPU SLI and Quad-GPU/3-Way CrossFireX Support!
VGA: ENGTS450 DC SL/DI/1GD3
Here is a graphic card with a quiet and efficient cooling system and low power consumption.
Overclocking is a breeze with the exclusive ASUS Voltage Tweak via Smart Doctor giving 50% more speed and performance.
This 20.0″(50.8cm) 16:9 Wide Screen display features the Splendid Video Intelligence Technology which optimizes video performance and image fidelity by enhancing color, brightness, contrast, and sharpness.
The eco-friendly design reduces power consumption by 25% (equivalent to 37.2k Wh electricity savings) and is manufactured with 50% less hazardous materials (mercury-free LED-backlit panel. Corrugated cardboard packaging with at least 80% recycled content).
The unit has a 3 year system and panel warranty, so we don’t have to worry much if untoward something happens during that period.
Casing: Thermaltake Spacefraft VF-1 3200
The Thermaltake Spacefraft VF-1 has an impressive ventilation performance. It is a sturdy case with tool free drive mounting and removable air intake filters.
Other features includes:
- Aluminum front bezel creates e-sport looks and feel.
- Build-in latest USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Connector. (For VN600A1W2N only)
- Supports up to 7 fans for superior airflow and cooling efficiency.
- Supports most advanced AMD & NVIDIA graphic cards up to 12.5”/32cm.
- Supports high-performance 24cm water cooling radiator.
Mouse: Logitech M505
I would have used a more sophisticated mouse but that’s more for the gamers. But most of the time, he’ll be spending with this baby (the PC) doing office work, so a mouse that won’t stress his arms and fingers like the Logitech M505 is perfect for him.
Keyboard: Razer Arctosa (Silver on Black)
It’s a very light gaming keyboard which is built for the gamer who wants a hardware that can withstand the toughest playing conditions in a very slim design.
It has anti-ghosting feature which allows for more complex structured keystrokes. The keys are designed and built to capture every keystroke during the quickest game plays.
It has an area on the upper right corner where you can find the media control buttons readily accessible for adjusting volume or shuffling through songs using your favorite media player.
There are a lot of keyboards out there but the Razer Arctosa lets you mix office work, entertainment, and gaming!
PSU: CoolerMaster GX Series Bronze 650w
Based on reviews:
- Handled full power at 50°C
- Good efficiency (for an 80 Plus Bronze PSU)
- +12V registered well controlled voltage drops in Advanced Transient Response Tests
- Low ripple/noise at 5V and 3.3V and good enough ripple suppression at +12V
- Five year warranty
I’ve added the Intex 600VA UPS to enable you to save whatever you’re doing during sudden power loss.
I gave him a Seagate 1TB HDD which he can use to install a lot of games and store tons of music and videos. He can download his favorite movies or series from the internet or buy/rent DVDs and play it using the Asus DRW-24B3ST (uses a feature called ASUS E-Green drive which automatically optimizes your drive’s power consumption). It also has an 8GB (1600C9D3B1K2/8GX) 2×4 RAM and the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3-2120 Processor.
Oh, we saved Php 2,646.00. I saved on buying:
- a router – the motherboard that we choose already has a built-in router (nice!)
- Sound system – the display already has a built-in hidden stereo speakers which enables audio enjoyment.
- Cooler and CPU Fans – cooling system is already efficient.
So, we were able to build a PC that matches what the customers needs plus with the power saving features in some of the components, it will minimize your electricity consumption. Add to that, we also have here an environment friendly PC.
I must say, I found this challenge very interesting.
- Images came from Google Images
- Most of the reference I used here came from the Asus Website.
- Thank you to Dr. Rey I. for the free consultation
- This is for the Asus Race to Computex Challenge